|Santuari de Canòlich|
The structure of Canòlich church could have been built over a basic Romanesque building, since the image of the Virgin is from the 12th century.
The area where the vestry is looks like the oldest. The carved image of Mare de Déu de Canòlich is from the 12th century.
Sitting on a throne, she has on her left knee a child, holding him with her left hand.
The right hand appears to be holding something, not present today. Both statues have a crown.
The etymology of the word Canòlich is from the Romanesque period (canonhic, "stop here").
It is important to stress out though that the Virgin was crowned by the Vatican in 1999. During the previous year, the 775th anniversary of the Virgin’s discovery (1223 -1998) was celebrated.
The ceramic murals found inside the Canòlich church are by the artist Sergi Mas. They are four panels, one representing the birth of Jesus; another Mary visiting her cousin, with Peter’s house (from Bississari) in the background – he, among others, found her image; the third one represents the miraculous discovery of the Virgin, thanks to a wonderful bird; and the last one is about the Holy Family crossing the Aixovall bridge, symbolizing the crossing from a place where they were persecuted to a place of shelter.
On the last Saturday of May, Sant Julia de Lòria is decked with a heartfelt message of brotherhood and friendship that unites all Lauredians and the many friends who come each year to celebrate this event.